I know quite a bit about RO, having played it since June of '03. I'll give a fast run-down on it.
This is the site for iRO
, btw. There is a 15-day free trial initially, then it's $12/month, $32/3 months, $57/6 months. Download the client first before registering, otherwise, you have to wait for the download to finish.
It's basically running around killing stuff and trying not to get killed. A load of new towns and goodies are being implemented, with War of the Emperium being newest. You can sell or trade stuff in towns with people, but prices tend to be high on some of the servers. Currently, iRO has three servers, but I recommend Loki or Sakray (the former has less people than Chaos, and the latter has few people and double the exp).
If you need to know anything more about it, you're welcome to join the LJ community for it (ragnarokonline
), or you can leave a comment on my journal for it.
Good luck! :D
p.s. yes, the sprite in my icon is from RO. She's painful.. =;.;=.
How bout some general questions:
1) What's the player-base like? l337-speakin-power-gamin retards? Quirky-neato people? English-as-a-second-language folk? Etc.
2) It's 2D sprites over a 3D background right? (Right? Please? Pweeez!)
3) Is there much in the way of server lag? Is it bound to your IP? Does it go well with garlic sauce?
4) Are their quests/events(aside from the war thing)/competitions, etc?
I'm a go check out the community now and see how many of my questions have already been answered.
1. kind of all three. In the town I live in with my guild, we get uber-newbies ("cn sum1 hlp me i m a nub"), MVP addicts ("yeah, I only killed Moonlight Flower three times today, I'm having an off day =\"), spammers ("S>Hode card 10k No Recip. 15k pm me now!!!"), English speakers ("when did the town get so packed?!"), and annoying assholes ("WURP TO PRON PLZ!!!!"). I suggest hanging around somewhere long enough, you'll find some people who speak decent English and can carry a coherent conversation :D.
2. yes, yes it is. And it's so freaking cute. They have started to implement 3D monsters, that's what the Guardians of the Guildcastles are, but in my opinion, they're freaking ugly. But yes, it's 3D backgrounds and 2D sprites. There are some really beautiful places in the game, too; try the flower gardens at Mt. Mjolnir, or the river gorge in the Poring Forest.
3. There is some server lag, yes. I think it depends what continent you live on (I hear UK based players get some wicked lag), what your connection is, and if Cogentco feels like being merciful (it's the RO ISP, and it has some pretty laggy routers). Also, some towns it feels like you're lagging, but it's your processor trying to catch up (like in Lutie, the falling snow tends to play Hell on my computer).
4. Yes there are. We recently finished up a Christmas event, where Prontera was decorated, select towns had falling snow, and there were Santa Porings and Stocking Quests. There are also some perpetual quests; you have to complete certain quests to get your job classes, or to make certain headgears or get special skills.
Hope this helps!
It most definitely does, I think I'm going to try it out.
Thanks a bunch!
i'm also going to throw out the horizons
As to LANs, I know someone who has been making noises about hosting one at his place- I'll let you know~
hey im in Cali right now but im moving to NM in march i wanted to know if i could join up on some of the lan partys
the lan scene that this particular community was devoted to is fairly dead at the moment. we're seeing what we can do about reviving that, but unfortunatly everyone has work or school or something else taking all of their time at the moment.
... Must... LAN... Stuck in Ranchos de Taos... Loosing mind... Urge to kill... Rising... Rising...
meh i already found 2 lans going on ones once a week ones once a month ill check those out next time im free and down there but otherwize ill chck around here too